5 Dental Tips for a Bright & Healthy Smile
Having a white and healthy smile is one of the most effective ways of creating a lasting impression. The fact is that your smile is one of the first things people will notice when they meet you. Dr. Maureen L. O’Flanagan and her team of experienced dentists help you maintain oral health and a bright and shiny smile. Here are 5 simple tips which will ensure you have the whitest teeth and the brightest smile:
- Brushing– Ideally, it’s best to brush after every meal. When you maintain clean teeth, it also helps in maintaining overall dental health in a much better way. Always use a toothbrush with soft bristles as ones with hard bristles can damage your gums and the enamel of your teeth
- Diet – The food you eat has a very important role to play in the health of your gums& teeth. When you consume healthy foods, it helps improve oral health too as this prevents the formation & spread of bacteria in your mouth. Avoid drinking coffee, soda and red wine as all of these can stain your teeth
- Flossing– Just as its important to brush your teeth on a regular basis, it’s equally important that you floss them every day. This helps in removing food particles that have been lodged in between your teeth, prevents bad breath, reduces the number of cavities and helps keep your teeth clean and white
- Stop Smoking– Smoking causes irreversible damage to your lungs and heart; but it also causes a lot of damage to your gums, teeth, and mouth. Those who smoke will find that there is a build-up of plaque and tartar on their teeth, they have bad breath and their teeth are discolored. Smokeless tobacco also wears-down the teeth and gums and ups the chances of tooth decay
- Dentist Visit- It is crucial that you visit your dentist at least 2 times a year. When you get a regular dental checkup, it helps maintain your teeth and gums. It’s also the best way of detecting the early signs of cavities, gingivitis and plaque buildup. It helps us provide timely treatment which results in healthier teeth.