What Exactly is Preventive Dentistry?
Just like any other preventive therapy, preventive dentistry is a way of helping you maintain good oral health. It helps in protecting your teeth from decay, which also means you will have to visit your dentist less often too. The primary causes of tooth loss are dental decay & gum disease. The more effectively you deal with these problems, the better your chances of keeping your teeth for life. Long-Term Dental Health Dr. Maureen L. O’Flanagan and her team of dental experts ensure your teeth are well-looked after and that you have fewer dental problems to deal with in the long term. When you come to us, the first thing we check for are signs of tooth decay or gum disease. In case any extractions and fillings are required, they will be dealt with in an expert manner. Once your mouth is in a good condition, our expert dentists will then work out a detailed maintenance plan that will help you keep your teeth and gums in a good condition. Who can Benefit from Preventive Dentistry? Preventive dentistry can benefit any individual who has some of his/her natural teeth. In some ways, even people who don’t have teeth can benefit. This is because certain conditions such as denture stomatitis and mouth cancer can be detected in the course of a regular dental checkup and can be treated on time. Preventive dentistry is excellent for kids& young people, but we believe that it’s never too late to start. The Process
- The dentist will check your gums and teeth and talk about any treatment you require
- The primary aim is to ensure the oral health, as a healthy mouth will be less at risk of gum disease or dental decay
- All the plaque and tartar will be thoroughly removed from your teeth- this is referred to as scaling & polishing
- Your dentist will also show you the right way to brush & clean between the teeth using floss or interdental brushes- this helps remove the plaque buildup between your teeth
- You will also be informed about which dental care products are best for you